To connect the narrow passage between Alburg and Swanton across the Missisquoi Bay,
a ferry crossing was established in 1797 and ran continuously until the 1938 completion of the Missisquoi Bay Bridge (better known as the "causeway").
Central to the causeway's completion were six wooden work barges (c. 1920) that were abandoned on the Alburg shore. Modern day archaeologists saw these barges as historical treasures and documented them before they are removed when the bridge and causeway are replaced in 2004-2007. A bilingual interpretive exhibit displaying the barges will be installed in 2007 at the site of the new bridge.
Exhibit Partners: Vermont Agency of Transportation and the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum (LCMM). For more information, call the LCMM at 802.475.2022.
View the exhibits: